Monday, January 29, 2007

Who Am I? Evangelical


My last post attempted to name the theological streams that I feel refreshed by. Let me say first that the three terms - evangelical, wesleyan, and anabaptist are not in any particular order of importance. I don't list evangelical first because it is my primary descriptor that I read the other two through. I believe actually that all three of these streams complement and challenge one another in interesting ways.

First, evangelical. What does it mean? I almost gave up calling myself this a few years ago, because the term is so elusive. Several scholars have suggested that the term suffers from overuse and should be discontinued. But I still see value in the term used a certain way. Here are the things that I am still refreshed by in the evangelical stream:

1. Evangelicals tend to take the Word seriously. While some other streams of Christianity are backing away from the Bible - evangelicals have generally stood their ground in saying that the Word is the touchstone of Christian theology and practice. I have learned from the evangelicals to take the Word seriously.

2. Evangelicals have stressed the importance of a personal decision to follow Jesus. I believe this is an important point when we live in a culture with so much nominal Christianity.

3. Evangelicals have always emphasized the need to share our faith with others. I believe that a passionate witness for Christ is important.

All three of these evangelical points still nurture me. I believe these three points are part of an evangelical heritage that I cannot get away from. However, I have struggled with other evangelical weaknesses and have had to fill out my thinking from other streams.

Here are some of the weaknesses that I have had to wrestle with from within evangelicalism.

-Evangelical commitment to a personal relationship with God has sometimes discounted the importance of the church. We have given the impression that "me and Jesus" is all that really matters - and that belonging to a community of Christians is less important.

-Conservative evangelicals tend to have a very naive understanding of church, society and politics. Many seem to believe that the U.S. has always been a Christian nation and that we now have to fight to win it back. This has led to short-sided political stances, support of militarism, and lack of substantive critique of the role of church and state.

-Evangelicals still have (I believe) a small dose of anti-intellectualism, and we struggle to convince pastors and congregations of the necessity of robust theological thinking. Church lite seems to be winning the day.

-Many evangelicals still tend to see salvation as a point in time when we accept Christ and then we are ready for heaven. Evangelicals have done a poor job talking about what it means to live in the kingdom now.

-Evangelicals are getting better - but they have been slow in understanding social issues, such as poverty, war, and environmental issues. We have also been slow to develop a mature understanding of structural sin.

So why - if I list all these objections (and I could list more) do I still accept the term "evangelical". I guess because I believe the term is still worth fighting for. The emphasis of Word, conversion, and witness that I mentioned earlier - the strong suit of evangelicals - they are still worth believing and living.

1 comment:

Josh H said...

Dwayne,

Thank you for this thought provoking and encouraging post.

Unfortunately, I have lived out many (if not all) of the weaknesses you pointed out in your post throughout my years as a Christian. Particularly in politics and not being aware or even concerned about the present kingdom of God.

God has really opened my eyes in the past few years to how narrow minded I had become. Yes, I admit, I sometimes have a problem with tunnel vision.

Anyway... all this to say... I think you are right on when you say that this is slowly getting better as people become more aware and educated on the various issues.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your 'Who Am I?' posts.

Take care!

Josh Howard