Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Who Am I? Wesleyan


My latest thread of posts have been digging into the meaningful traditions that feed my theological makeup. I am evangelical, Wesleyan, and anabaptist.

Following up on my recent posts, I now want to outline some of the Wesleyan strengths that I have come to appreciate. I have been a part of Wesleyan churches now for 10 years - and I am finding keen theological insights from this heritage more and more.

I have spent more time in the past year intentionally looking into the theology of John Wesley and the heritage of Methodism. Three books of particular note have been extremely helpful:
-John Wesley's Moral Theology by D Stephen Long
-Rethinking Wesley's Theology for Contemporary Methodism, ed by Randy Maddox
-Responsible Grace: John Wesley's Practical Theology, by Randy Maddox

"Responsible Grace" is an especially helpful book. I recommend it to anyone interested in Wesley or in ministry in a Wesleyan church.

Here are the streams of Wesleyan thought that I have come to appreciate:

1. When it comes to a view of salvation, Wesley blends Eastern Orthodox thought of "healing our diseased sin nature" with Western Christian thought of absolution from guilt. Wesley didn't collapse salvation into a moment in time where sins are forgiven (as many evangelicals tend to do). Instead, Wesley saw salvation as a "recovery of Holiness" (p. 25, "Responsible Grace) Thus, salvation is bigger than a one-time decision, but entails a life lived in discipleship.

2. Wesley's view of sanctification (even though how it happens and when it occurs is still debated) represents a positive expectation of discipleship and change in a believers life if he cooperates with the grace of God. This view is so refreshing, especially in light of many traditions that expect little can be done about our sin-soaked ways in this life. But Wesley expected change in this life - and I like that view of discipleship (some similarities with anabaptist expectations)

3. I am also intrigued by Wesley's insistence on helping the poor, educating children, and ministering to those in need. If one is interested in social issues, one will find a conversation partner in Wesley, even if Wesley didn't tend to have a well worked out theology of social action.

Like all movements, Wesleyan thought has its weaknesses. For instance, because Wesley never intended to start a new church, he doesn't work much on the theology of the church. And many Wesleyan churches have tended to be hijacked by conservative evangelicalism, where salvation (and sanctification for that matter) is seen as a moment in time when I gave my life to Jesus.

My commitment over the next year is to read more of Wesley's sermons. I believe that his legacy as a churchman and a theologian is well worth investigating. I am surprised that so many "Wesleyans" know so little about Wesley...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wanted you to know i read it and am intrigued.

DBrothers said...

Susie,
Thanks for reading. I am trying to decide if your intrique is real... or if you are making fun of me again.
D

Anonymous said...

Does the Bible say we have a diseased sin nature or a depraved sin nature? Does scripture say we are spiritually sick or spiritually dead? If we are only spiritually sick, then we are just spiritually unhealthy and do not need regeneration, only some spiritual rehab. If we are spiritually dead, then we will need regeneration.

I think some Wesleyan terms and ideas tend to imply that human beings are not completely fallen and retain some inherrent goodness. At least enough to choose God and come to him. It is very hard for a spiritually dead person to "find God."

DBrothers said...

Craig,
I think analogies within Scripture would allow us to say that we are sick AND dead. Maybe the answer is (and I think Wesley would be in this camp) - that we need both regeneration and healing.