Sunday, April 15, 2007

Pacifism: What is in a name?

Let me start with a short post about the name "pacifism". I like the term because people associate it with a tradition of peace. But I don't like the term because most people misunderstand it. What comes in mind when people here the word pacifism?......passive!

Actually, the root word for pacifism is the Latin word, "pacis" which means "peace". There is really nothing in the word that connotes passivity. But what about Jesus words in Matthew 5:39 where he says, "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person...". Some pacifists have taken and still take this verse quite literally - that we should not stand in the way of evil. But the Greek word translated as do not "resist" is a strong word that is used in other contexts as violent warmaking. So the verse really means don't use violence as a tool against violence. It does not preclude standing up in other ways!

I love how Ted Grimsrud describes this in his article in the book, "Transforming the Powers". Grimsrud says:

"As a Christian, I argue for a different, biblically oriented understanding for peace - "shalom". I see peace as a holistic concept best understood in relation to a constellation of concepts such as the well-being, wholeness, and health of the entire community on all levels. We may think of respect and harmony in relationships among human beings and between human beings and the rest of creation. Pacifism, then, is a positive concept, reflecting a vision for how life can and should be. For pacifism, nothing is as important as love, kindness, restorative justice, and healthy relationships with all of creation. "

Pacifism then, is a positive concept that means "working and standing for peace without using the world's violent means of bringing about peace". Jesus himself was not passive, yet stood against the structures of the day that kept people oppressed. Ultimately, Christian pacifism stands on this example of Jesus - standing strong with the oppressed and testifying of a new way to live. But more about that in another post.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm commenting!!!! I didn't see this latest post when I saw you today......

Your thought on shalom reminded me of something i read last night. In Rob Bell's book velvet elvis he talks about this idea of "shalom" and that is not so much the absense of war/violence but the presence of good. we think of pacifism when we are confronted with violence or war b/c and perhaps we have a negative reaction to it b/c we have been passive and now are confronted with a situation where violence seems the only way from point a to point b. we've waited till we are confronted with evil and then try to deal with it and resist rather than actively creating, with great force and passion and creation (reminds me of the Ultimate Creation in Genesis), a world of peace where war and violence have to fight us to become a part of our world in the first place.

we are on the defense and that is when pacifism seems so futile and weak. we should be on the offense - creating a kingdom here on earth but that requires an approach that I'm not sure Americans and dare I say, Christian Americans, are willing to take.

Anonymous said...

I'm interested to see what you find out about Hitler and our response to that situation. Best of luck with that!

DBrothers said...

Aaron,
Good to hear from you and yes, I am anxious to see what I will say about responding to Hitler myself.