Monday, October 30, 2006

Zambia Trip

I apologize for my absence. Things got a little crazy with work - so I had to let a few things go over the last month, and blogging was one of them. But, I think I am ready to get back into the saddle.

But before I tackle my topic that I planned, I wanted to share some pictures from my mission trip to Zambia, however, I am having difficulty in downloading the pictures into blogger. So that will have to wait until I check in with my technical staff...

Anyway, here is a brief list of things that I saw in Zambia...

1. I met a host of pastors that are crazy about Jesus and church planting... and work tirelessly without any or little compensation.

2. I learned that fences are really a waste of time and money - cows should be allowed to roam free.

3. I learned that a cart of Zambian farmers pulled by two oxen can get to town faster than four white Americans in a landrover with a flat tire.

4. I learned that in some places in the world the admonishment to "take care of widows and orphans" is still taken literally.

5. I learned that I really don't look very professional when I try to sing and dance in praise with the Zambians.

6. I learned to not dismiss places to eat based solely on names like "the Zig Zag" and the "Funky Monkey".

7. I learned that "Arkansas" is made fun of all over the world.

8. I joyfully learned that no one cared in Zambia if I wore velcro tennis shoes.

9. I learned that high schoolers in Zambia are bright and hopeful.

10. I learned what it means to be out of my culture, but at home with "brothers and sisters".

6 comments:

Jess said...

It took you this long to find out Arkansas was made fun of all over the world??

ASWilliams said...

Welcome back--both to the QCA and to the blogworld--oh great Q-tipped one!!!

kate debaene said...

By technical staff, do you mean Jefe and I?

Did you learn that velcro shoes were made fun of all over the world?

jefe said...

BD,
Glad you're back, baby. I'll hook you up on the pics. Let' meet for coffee and I'll see what's up.
pax,
jefe
PS- they WERE making fun of you AND that's precisely why they can be considered our brothers and sisters no matter where they are!

-the andyman- said...

glad you learned so much from your trip. and thanks for talking with me and lindsey the other day at fazolis

(this is my new blog...all revamped and everything!)

-andrew-

kate debaene said...

wow...i love what you've done with all the pictures you promised to post...wait a minute...there are no pictures on this blog of your africa trip.

dwayen - just like with the promise of that series post from days gone by - you sit on a throne of lies! :-)