Sunday, July 09, 2006

Worship American Style


I just have to put down a few thoughts about this. Not that it surprises me - I fully expected it. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, I would have thought nothing of it. But now I am sensitive to it.

While vacationing in the great Smoky Mountains we were able to catch a few dinner shows in Pigeon Forge, TN. Great shows they were - but I had forgotten that July 4th was just last week. At both shows they obviously had added July 4th pieces. Both shows ended with Christian songs - one was "Mine Eyes Has Seen the Coming of the Glory of the Lord" - complete with military video on the screen. One shot was of an American soldier shooting a gun into a cave and leading those prisoners that were alive out in procession. It was a stunning display of American religion - Christian worship songs with the backdrop of American war planes and guns.

At the close of both shows, a huge American flag rolled slowly down across the back of the stage. You guessed it - everyone got up and gave a standing ovation. I stood there with mixed feelings - trying to feel proud of my country (which I am most of the time) yet trying to sort out the idolatry of our American religion which blends worship of the one true God that loves the whole world with American symbols that suggests that our country is somehow special to God.

Any comments? Any other stories of blended worship? (ie Christian worship with military overtones)?

6 comments:

kate debaene said...

so i was thinking of a memorial day service that fell on a sunday that i once went to...pictures on the back wall with a patriotic overtone mixed into the service...do you know that of which i speak???

it's really all pretty cool. i am sure we do all sorts of stuff to display god's glory on bastille day.

Anonymous said...

do you recall - back in the day - "the grand old flag" worship extravaganza? i still can see the big smiles, the little flags waving, the matching ties, the marching...

welcome back! hope your vacation was fun and refreshing - as well as your days to come!

Josh H said...

Hey Dwayne!

We've met before, I'm Tim Howard's son, Josh. Somehow I stumbled onto your blog today and I'm glad I did. I'll enjoy reading what you have to say.

Yeah, I've experienced this sort of blended worship before too. And I'll be honest, probably up until about three years ago, I was comfortable with it.

I'm not sure what's changed in my mind, but now I've gotten to the point where I'm not even sure that an American flag should be in the sanctuary at all... (unless all the other national flags are able to proudly wave in the air conditioner's wind as well.)

Anyway... thanks for your thoughts. I'll check back often. As I've told my dad on a number of occasions, everytime I hear you preach, (usually on CD) I learn... you have indirectly ministered to me on several occasions.

Anyway, take care! And punch my dad in the arm next time you see him and tell him it's from me. Haha.

-Josh Howard

Mark said...

Blasphemy is no small thing. And many churches borderline on blasphemy in this area. This is one area where in a church CLEARLY doing this I would be in full support of flipping over tables, chairs, or video equipment to cleanse the church of this sin.

I've heard of a Christian gathering (not a church) having a song with a video background that took a picture of a dieing soldier on the battle field with his arms out and fading it into a picture of Jesus on the cross. As if a soldier dieing on a battle field is in some way equal to Christ's death on the cross. Yeah, I'd say smash the projection unit and lose your job, but don't allow the blasphemy of Christ.

Am I over-reacting? Maybe the line of blasphemy is too blurry? Well, you'd at least have a church service where we wouldn't forget the message. People need to think about this issue seriously, thanks for writing.

Jessica said...

I think Christianity in American has become rather arrogant in many aspects and not just with our idea of patriotism and Christianity.

We do the same with our ideas on faith and prosperity and positive thinking. I have often walked into the bookstore and wondered what Christians in Zimbabwe and Serbia and India who live in poverty think of our teachings on prosperity and faith.

Do we really believe that we have more faith b/c we've prospered compared to those who literally depend on God for their next meal?

I wonder if we have become, in this world that gets smaller and smaller and more connected, isolated...unaware that unlike our theology, grace is universal and the cross knows no nationality.

DBrothers said...

Thanks everyone for the comments - Josh it was good to hear from you.

There are lots of things to say about this subject. American Christianity is hostage to many vices that hold her down - maybe we will get the chance to explore a few more...