Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ain't Studying War No More...

That is really not true...I am studying war. As a matter of fact, I have been looking recently as some of the statements made by church denominations that are affiliated with the National Association of Evangelicals. The statements are rather surprising.

One of the largest evangelical churches in the United States contains this phrase in the by-laws, "As a movement we affirm our loyalty to the government of the United States in war and peace".

Another smaller denomination (to which I belonged for a short period of time) puts it this way in their Articles, "We recognize the sovereign authority of government and the duty of all Christians to reverence the power, to obey the law, and to participate righteously in the administration of lawful order in the nation under whose protection they reside..."

Do we really think clearly about what we believe about war in the evangelical church? Can we really use phrases like, "sovereign authority of government" and still make the Christian claim that "Jesus is Lord". I think we need a re-think....

3 comments:

DangerousWomen said...

Just what the world needs, more Commies. As the great theologian Cher said, "I'm red, white, and blue, ah ooh ah ooh, ah ooh."

Seriously, this is very cool. I will be a frequent reader.

Jenn Swift said...

Just finished "Love Thy Neighbor" by Peter Maas who was a journalist in Sarajevo. Also read "They Poured Fire On Us From The Sky" written by three Sudanese boys. I was in Bosnia last summer, stood in Auschwitz in Sept. The reality of the importance of knowing how I feel about this stuff became quite real.

Should take a look at the blog http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/ - go to the post "a royal visit" - third one down right now.

My replies aren't always this weighty, but this stuff's on my mind right now as well.

Rochester Rocks!

Jess said...

Love Thy Neighbor is a powerful and deeply thought-provoking book. I'd highly recommend it.